Recent Blog Posts

     Every person or corporation who submits a bid or contract for construction work valued at $500 or more must hold a state contractors license in the appropriate license classification. The only exceptions are individuals who are specifically exempt from the license requirement by statute.

You may be in violation of State and Federal law and subject to unlimited liability, withholding and social security taxes and disability and unemployment insurance if the people you have working on your property are unable to provide you with: A current certificate of workers’ compensation insurance. A valid California Contractor’s License. A city Business License (in most cities).

What To Expect: Design and construction projects involve several steps. Typically, projects go through the following six phases. However, on some projects several of these steps may be combined or there may be additional ones. Programming / Deciding What to Build: The homeowner and architect discuss the requirements for the project (how many rooms, the function of the spaces, etc.